Monday 29 April 2013

Thinking creatively about creative writing

I was looking for ways to engage Chipman in creative writing and stumbled upon the TES website. It is full of resources uploaded by teachers and is free to access. Some of the activities need tweaking for one to one home educating. I found a fantastic powerpoint on the website which I turned into a workbook. Here is how I did it......

Firstly you will need to down load the resource from TES, this requires signing up to their site. It's free to join and well worth it for the treasure trove of resources you will find!

Next I printed off the power point slides, 3 to a page with notes, this option is available on the print screen.

I then cut them into individual strips.


 The next step was to get creative and make a front and back cover out of card. I made mine out of card which I cut just a bit bigger than my pages. I used a sharpie, gold pen and some card decorating stickers for mine, but this is where you can let your creativity go wild!

Lastly you can make your book by laying your back cover on the bottom, then laying your paper on top and finally your cover. The amount of pages you can include may well be limited to the number of pages you can fit in your stapler! I used 15 pages and then stapled it. I put the left over strips in an envelope ready to make another once A has completed this one.



For Chipman who is a reluctant writer the short amount of lines make the task achievable (although he does have to option to carry onto the other side of the page). It has really helped him start thinking about things imaginatively and is in good size chunks that don't overwhelm him.

Let me know what you think. Have you got any good ideas to get reluctant writers putting pen to paper or getting them to think creatively? If so please share them below.

No comments:

Post a Comment